FaceBook icon
Instagram icon
Twitter icon

MUSHROOMS

Natural doesn’t always mean safe. Hallucinogenic mushrooms contain a natural poison that can harm your body and mind.

AKA

Magic mushrooms, shrooms, caps, boomers

WHAT IS IT?

The active chemical in hallucinogenic mushrooms is called psilocybin. This chemical is found in approximately 190 species of edible mushrooms.

THE RISKS

Mushrooms work by disrupting how your nerve cells and the neurotransmitter serotonin interact throughout the brain and spinal cord. By changing the normal functioning of serotonin in the brain, mushrooms distort the way you process information and can make you hallucinate.

When you hallucinate, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. You may see, feel and hear things that don't exist. You can also have rapid and intense emotional mood swings. This shift in perception can be frightening. It can cause panic attacks and psychosis (a complete loss of contact with reality). In this state of mind, it’s easy for unexpected and dangerous – or even fatal – accidents to happen.

LONG-TERM EFFECTS

Suddenly and without warning, a few days or even a year later, the brain can produce flashbacks: feelings and thoughts that replay the effects of being on the drug. And because mushrooms disturb the normal functioning of the brain, it's important to note that some long-term effects like psychiatric illness and impaired memory have been reported.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Psilocybin mushrooms disturb and potentially damage the normal functioning of your brain, making them poisonous and dangerous, regardless of how natural they are.

Many thanks to the following sites for "additional" information:

www.childhelp.org

en.wikipedia.org

bing.com

youtube.com

www.unicef.org

www.dosomething.org

abovetheinfluence.com